The Industry’s Challenge
The radio industry and the NAB have been working to increase the number of cellphones activated with FM radio receivers. The opportunity to include radio receivers on cellphones has had its share of challenges: the limited number of smartphones that include FM radio, chip size, power consumption and cost. Despite the opportunity hybrid radio (FM+Internet) on the smartphone provides, there’s been no working example of it available in the United States, let alone one that can match the rich user experience available through other mobile radio-like products. That is… until now.
NextRadio — the hybrid radio smartphone app — and TagStation® cloud services have finally unlocked the promise of hybrid radio on the smartphone. NextRadio combines the efficiency and scalability of broadcast audio with the phone’s data channel to deliver an interactive artist and ad experience. TagStation empowers the radio industry with a platform to manage album art, meta data and enhanced advertising that are sent to the phone in sync with the broadcast. With other features like listener feedback, song tagging capabilities, and social integration, NextRadio stands out as a truly innovative mobile experience.
The Hybrid Radio Artist Experience
Today’s music fans expect more from
radio. We deliver it.
NextRadio provides listeners with the kind of radio experience they expect: an intuitive design that allows users to search the radio dial either by frequency or by music format. Find a channel you like? Save it to your pre-sets. Don’t know what you’re in the mood for? Scan the dial. And with TagStation, users will experience a consistent presentation from all radio stations including station logo, frequency, channel, song and album title, artist name and cover art.
Our smartphone ecosystem will provide advertisers with fully synchronized hybrid radio ads, increasing the value of the ads and the opportunity for higher listener engagement.
NextRadio also creates a hybrid radio ad experience never seen before. Now your typical radio commercial has the ability to be interactive in real-time. Our hybrid approach of supplementing the broadcast signal with the data back-channel provides advertisers with the ability to deliver synchronous advertising. Radio stations can leverage our unique synchronous promotional ads to maximize advertising sponsorships.
All ads can be engaged with at the time of listening or at any point afterwards through various features available on the phone, such as recently played, saved content, etc.
Enhanced Hybrid Radio Ad Types and Features
A basic ad includes an image, a title, and a blurb. Click the action button for a web link and phone number — responding couldn’t be easier!
Coupon Code Ad
Advertisers have the ability to deliver synchronous UPC or QR Codes along with their commercial. Point of listening can lead to point of sale.
Full screen ads are just that. In addition to a “take-over” presentation, it can access any of the many interactive features available.
Advertiser sponsored events can maximize turnout. There’s no need to remember details or write them down. One click adds them to your calendar.
There’s no need to remember a station’s short code and keyword when a radio station promotion occurs. We pre-populate it. One click and it’s done.
An advertiser with “brick and mortar” locations can easily enhance any ad with this geolocation feature. It lends a useful twist to promotions.
Why a Mobile Platform Now?
Benefits of a hybrid radio smartphone solution to broadcasters include:
- The technology is here: at least six of the top ten best-selling smartphones have FM chips — they just aren’t activated
- Grow listenership! Dramatically expand the distribution of your core product
- Saves consumers on bandwidth. Streaming raises data rates. By listening to FM radio, your listeners could save as much as 1GB per month in data usage
- Protects and enhances the existing broadcast distribution model: FM radio is free to the listener
- Provides a similar user experience to streaming with minimal bandwidth cost and no royalty fees
- The explosion of the mobile platform and the mobile advertising market sets up the industry for the next generation of auto dashboards
- Increase radio’s share of the advertising pie through a more targeted and interactive solution for advertisers
- Further strengthen our public service role
- NAB sponsorship of standard application supports mass adoption